The Hartsdale Public Parking District was created as a “Special District” by a NYS Legislative Act of 1952 to provide commuter parking for residents of the Unincorporated Town of Greenburgh and to provide general public metered parking in support of the local business community.
The District is governed by a Board of Commissioners. Parcels of land were conveyed to the District by the Town of Greenburgh, Penn Central Railroad, and local private owners for the development of parking lots and garages. These properties were developed autonomous of the Town of Greenburgh and are solely user supported operating on income from permit sales and parking meter revenue; the Hartsdale Public Parking District does not benefit from any Town services, tax revenue, or parking violation fines. The District owns and operates two multi-level garages and four open parking lots.
The Hartsdale Parking District has been serving the residents of the Unincorporated Town of Greenburgh, local East Hartsdale Avenue merchants, and the general public since April 22, 1952.